Sunday, November 2, 2008

10/25/08 We move Away from Rome to La Casella

En realidad es no deficil para una persona viajar en muchas places. En Italiana es deficil para una persona leer una mapa. Porque? Porque es deficil para una persona conducir tres personas cuando los ojos de la "Navigator"es no rapide.

Do not get your hopes up. We did not move from Rome to a castle (I thought so too). We went from Rome to the Umbrian countryside to stay in La Casella, a resort that's made up of many little farmhouses and that is famous for it's horseback riding. When we left Rome we got on the highway (or autostrada) and drove for a little over two hours before we got to the beginning of the gravel road that would lead us down to the main desk of La Casella. We were on this windy gravel path for a couple miles before we came to the set of stone buildings that had an almost empty parking lot out to its front. The countryside was such a nice change from the city. We rolled down the windows and got huge whiffs of the fresh air, I looked out the window at the golden-turning trees and how they went so well with the plowed field, the purple flowers, and the silver-coated brush that was along the road. The main building had three different sections to it. On the right there was a spa and a kitchen, on the left was the front desk and the bar, and on the back there were places to sit. In the middle there was a courtyard that had tables and chairs set up.

We walked in and announced to the lady behind the desk that we were early, but that we had made a reservation. Aggie (the woman behind the desk who I really really like) said that that was no problem and told us all about the resort, such as how to schedule a horseback riding lesson, how to book a massage at the spa, how to make dinner or lunch reservations, how to get our phone to work, etc.. While we were there Ahmee made three different reservations, one for lunch, one for a foot massage (for her-her feet were killing her), and one reservation for a horseback riding lesson for me. This reservation was made before I had anything to say about it, and later in the apartment (tehehe has a kitchen, a living room, bedrooms, a GORGEOUS desk for me to work at, could go on a while...) when she asked me if I minded that she made that reservation I wasn't sure what to say. I had mixed feelings about it. The last time we'd ridden was in Ireland (didn't write about that I don't think) and I had had some fundamental issues. I've taken lessons before, and when I couldn't remember which side to get up on I got frustrated with myself. My frustration grew when I couldn't get my horse to go faster (my legs were wimpy). I was able to enjoy the ride, just far behind Ahmee and the other lady. I wanted to do better, because I know I can do better. The scheduling of a horseback riding lesson for me was mostly a good thing in my mind.

The lesson was scheduled for the next day. Ahmee's foot massage went on at three o clock, lunch happened just prior to that, and before lunch we needed to settle our things in. We went up to our apartment and rummaged around and moved most of our clothes out of the suit case (I refused to take out a few things, my suitcase will not be completely empty until we get back), moved our cleanliness bags into the bathroom, took pictures of various things I found pretty around the house, and then headed back down for lunch. Lunch was eaten with all of the staff, since we didn't speak Italian and they didn't speak too much English it was somewhat awkward. When we sit at a table with people we often find it rude to not talk to others. It's also a pain to not be able to understand the language being spoken right next to you when you really want to just listen in (we're nosey like that). After eating several courses of fine food and after the people at our table had left we got up and headed out. Before heading over to the spa Ahmee and I went and asked Aggie two things: 1) where to find a grocery store, and 2) where the closest wireless internet provider was. She told us that the coop was in Fabro, and that the main building of the resort had wireless but that I'd have to wait because she didn't remember the password. These two pieces of information cheered us up greatly so that when we went over to the spa we were all in good moods. I didn't go to the spa to get a massage. I went to have free aroma therapy and to have a moment to draw outfits that I had wanted to draw while in Rome.

I sat in the waiting room, drawing and soaking in the wonderful scents that were drifting through the air from the many candles as I slowly relaxed. While sitting there I also thought. Since this would take up far too much space, I'll simply say that the candles and the atmosphere really helped keep me calm and helped me to lose myself far too often. I didn't get to draw much at all because I kept getting lost in my own thoughts.

After Ahmee came out from her foot and lower leg massage she was reading for a siesta. I was ready to get to work. While she slept I worked on schoolwork, which had piled up considerably. After this we all went to the coop grocery store where we were delighted to find everything we could've asked for (it was like a mini walmart). All of our goodies made us feel like having a party and sharing our food with other people. All of a sudden I started picturing all of the people we'd met while on this trip grouped together under one roof, eating cheeses and drinking wine and talking to each other. I pictured Travis, with his Salvador Dali mustache, talking to the white-haired old man we met while in Paris. I pictured Aggie with her sweet nature and always-ready smile talking to the lady from California who was gray-haired, ready to smile, pleasant, and who enjoyed telling stories. I pictured Brendon and Josie McKenna, the couple who ran the b&b in Glaslough, talking to Adam, the Scot who adored history. I had all of the people we'd met so far on the trip talking and laughing together with different kinds of music going on in the background. I also started thinking, "What if I could hold a party where all of the people I adored at home got to meet all of the people I've adored while on this trip?" I started having daydreams about that party too.

All of the daydreaming was in the car and during happy hour, where we got to savor delicious olives, cheeses, cherry tomatoes, and bread. After happy hour and dinner I worked, I stopped working on my study guide after I had read the same sentence 4 times over again.

That night I slept fine, except for one glitch with my eye. Something got in my eye and messed with my contact. My contact did not flip, my contact did not split, and my contact was pretty clean. I'm still not sure exactly what happened with it, but even after I'd gotten the contact out my eye was hurting. I had to fall asleep with one eye open and one eye closed because otherwise the eye hurt too much.

No comments: