Tuesday, December 2, 2008

11/27/08 HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! We eat killer food, walk on the beach, write, and get some scary news before dinner that make us truly thankful

Para la Fiesta de Thanksgiving nosotros comemos pollo, verduras, sandia, y sopa. Las platas son moy deliciosos. Nosotros se gusta mucho la Fiesta de Thanksgiving.

The point of thanksgiving is to recognize what you're thankful for and to enjoy your time. This we did splendidly.

Our plan was to eat wonderful food (I'm never able to recite everything I ate when I eat a feast), relax, and do only a few low-key things. Ahmee and Poppy planned on starting the day by sending emails to everyone. After that they wanted to go for a walk on the beach and then head back to the room. Once back in the room they wanted to read and relax while I wrote. Then later on we'd go for another walk before happy hour and then we'd watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade before eating dinner.

We did almost all of these. Early on I decided I was going to dress up in my orange shirt, blue jeans, sparkly belt, turquoise jewelry, and my orange scarf. This outfit made me feel very pretty when we went and emailed everyone and went for a walk on the beach. We didn't actually walk on the beach, we sat and watched the rough waves and the high tide before we went back to the room. Once there I sat down in my corner and wrote while Ahmee and Poppy read. I didn't go on another walk on the beach, I was busy writing; and we didn't watch the Thanksgiving Parade, we watched the news on CNN over the terrorist attacks in India.

The news we received rattled us. I don't remember the details, I just know that in Mumbai (sp?) a force of twenty or more terrorists came in by boat and attacked multiple areas: the central station, an important touristy cafe, two hotels, and the Hospital (also a Jewish Cultural Center). I found out later that these "very very young men" had had specific targets, and that they'd killed some of the top officials who were the first on the scene. It being scary enough that this could happen with everyone being completely blind to it coming, what managed to really frighten us was the fact that the terrorists were singling out British and American tourists. While eating dinner (Poppy shut off the tv) we were all extremely grateful we weren't in India, but then we also realized that a terrorist attack could happen anywhere. What I wondered while I ate my chicken and my vegetables, was: Why did those men single out the American and British tourists? They were very specific in their aim with the India police officials. Do they have another goal besides creating terror? Are they looking for a specific person? Do they want top officials representing the U.S. and Britain to come so they can take a swipe?

Of course all of these questions came along with those of: who did this? Who planned this? Who payed for this? Who trained the men? Who do they have on the inside?

After eating desert and cheering each other up significantly, we turned on the tv again to see what else CNN had to report on the situation in India. I was so busy thinking about this that when I went to bed I couldn't get to sleep but for another hour, wishing I knew more.

Once I got to sleep I stayed asleep.

No comments: