Wednesday, September 3, 2008

08/28/08

Confiesco, yo nunca dudo la mapa. La mapa es facil leer. Ahora la mapa no tiene muchas carreteras. Muchas carreteras en Ireland no tiene nombres. Poppy, mi abuelo, a menudo voy en un circleta. Como se dice help en espanol?!

We had to leave the b&b this morning. Before we left we gave Josie and Brendon hugs. Mrs. Josie said that I was a gorgeous girl who ought to be a model, and she and Brendon both said that I could come and live with them any time I wanted. It was awful leaving them.... They were so nice and kind to us and they did their best to help us whenever they could. After we got in the car Ahmee said that she'd read somewhere that the Irish were the nicest people you'd ever meet and that when you ask for help they'll go out of their way to help you. So far this has been very true.

After being around Mrs. Josie and Brendon and their talking, our usual silence in the car was almost depressing. You could tell all three of us just wanted to head back to them and stay. The only bad thing that happened when we were there was we didn't have internet. I didn't know what I had missed for school! While in the car I guessed what all I had missed and went ahead, rereading chapter 7 and making sure I had things done on the study guide. Then I started working on my Spanish, and that's when I wondered how far I needed to work in the book. If I was behind I wasn't sure how far to work. I decided to go back over the chapter I'd completed and work on the final bit of it. All of this work was broken up though in the car because I started getting carsick.

Glaslough was only 2 miles from Northern Ireland so it wasn't long before we were in an area where the euro no longer mattered; it was the pound that counted. In the agreement settled by the Irish revolutionaries and the King, England got to keep 6 counties; those 6 counties are now known as Northern Ireland. We stopped to find a place where I could get internet and see what my teachers had to say, and see how far behind I was, and to get lunch. I got a chicken tikka sandwich that tasted almost like barbeque. Since I'm not too fond of barbeque I wasn't a huge fan of the tikka. Also wasn't too fond of how half of my sandwich kept falling out. After lunch we headed to the local library to see if we could get wireless there. We weren't lucky there so we kept moving (this town didn't have an internet cafe either).

It wasn't long after lunch that we'd made it to our "resting place" for the night. It was in a local port town that was right next to the Giants Causeway and the Swinging Bridge. After visiting the tourist information center, where we booked a very nice b&b, we ran over to the b&b, dropped our things off, and headed to The Giants Causeway. Before we left the b&b keeper told us that the best food in town was next to the docks and that their burgers and deserts were to die for (we kept this in mind for later).

On the way to The Giants Causeway I got to enjoy the view of the cliffs and the North Atlantic Ocean (and yes, there were some people out swimming). Normally, Ahmee would've been enjoying it with me, but all day her stomach had been giving her issues. She felt carsick and she was in the front seat!

Luckily she felt a little better whenever we got out of the car and started walking around. The Giants Causeway required an entry-fee and had three different buildings situated at the top of the hill. One was an information building, one was a gift shop (where I did buy two things-can't say what though), and one was a video center where we went and watched a short clip on The Giants Causeway. First I have to mention that I think we might've been stealing. We never bought tickets to watch it, and when I looked in the gift shop I saw that there was an area where you bought them. Lovely huh? We'll be hunted down for not paying for our tickets to watch a five minute clip!

More about the film though: it told about the legend of the Irish Giant who built the giants causeway. Apparently these two giants decided they wanted to fight. The Irish Giant and the Scottish Giant. The Irish Giant, being the gentleman, built the causeway so that the Scottish Giant could cross to fight. The Irish Giant saw him coming and realized that the Scottish Giant was *much* bigger than he was so he ran to his wife, who dressed him up as a baby. When the Scottish Giant got there he looked around for the Irish Giant. He stomped up to the wife, who was busy rocking the very large "baby" in the crib. When the Scottish Giant saw the baby he ran, saying he did not want to meet the father of such a baby. As he ran back over the causeway he broke if up so that the "father" couldn't follow him back.

Science says that the hexagonal rocks were made by the cooling of lava, Irish myth says it was made by giants. Either way, they were a sight to see! The tourists who were there to see it were fun to watch as well. Some were carefully edging around the rocks, others were like billy goats. The billy goats jumped from rock to rock and enjoyed being at the very top and on the very edge. We met one of these billy goats down by the "Giants Boot", the man was from New Zealand with his wife. They'd been on vacation for 3 or 4 weeks and they were heading back home the next day in Belfast. They told us to drop off our car at the airport, since that's what they were doing. Later, Ahmee said that so far they were the only people that she'd met where she could understand everything they said.

Our original plan was that after the Giants Causeway we'd go to the Swinging Bridge, but after we got done with the Causeway we were hungry and we thought it was really late for it to be open. So we headed back to the village. After dropping off the car at the b&b we went for a very long walk to the restaurant the b&b runner had suggested. We enjoyed watching the people as we waited for our food. The place was packed with people so this provided a fair amount of entertainment for a while. After 30 minutes of waiting for our food though we all got restless as our stomachs started making very loud growly noises. We waited another 15 minutes and then our food came. Poppy and I had decided we wanted to try some of the lovely cow we'd been seeing grazing in the pastures. The grass is very rich in Ireland, so we weren't disappointed. The hamburgers were excellent, if greasy. Ahmee took a bite of mine and handed it back commenting on how her lips were covered in grease. I just laughed and said it was a natural lip gloss. I ate over half of the burger and was filled. Poppy happily ate the rest of mine. We were very thankful for the long walk back to the b&b.

Once back I got online, did some schoolwork, and then passed out. When I say passed out, I mean that I fell asleep in less than 3 minutes.

No comments: